Accidents can turn life upside down for you and your family. If you’ve been injured in a transport accident, it’s likely that you’re entitled to compensation. While you concentrate on recovery, or managing a changed lifestyle, we can help ensure that you’re getting all the benefits and care you need.

In Victoria, it doesn’t matter if the accident was your fault, or someone else’s, or just bad luck. In most circumstances, you’re entitled to have many of the costs associated with your recovery, including medical and nursing care, rehabilitation, and any ongoing support costs paid for by the TAC. If you need time off work, lost wages can be claimed. If your earning capacity has changed, you can claim for that too. If your injury is permanent and serious, you may also be entitled to lump sum compensation. Where an accident caused a death, the family of the deceased person is usually entitled to some benefits.

Depending on the circumstances of your accident, and the severity of your injury, you might also be entitled to a common law claim for pain and suffering and losses such as loss of earnings.

Strict time limits apply to claims  – report your accident promptly, or have a family member do so.  You’re welcome to call Rightside Legal to be talked through reporting your accident and lodging an initial claim, without any obligation. Even if you’re not sure whether you’re eligible for or interested in a legal claim, talk to an experienced lawyer who won’t require you to sign anything on the spot without delay, so that you can get advice tailored to your particular situation.

Remember, the TAC is an insurer, and ultimately their interests may diverge from yours. If they’ve declined to subsidize treatment you need, or rejected your claim, or you’re just not sure about something they’ve told you, talk to a lawyer who is on your side. Time limits apply to challenging TAC’s decisions too, so get in touch without delay.