A former journalist, Michael spent 11 years with Slater & Gordon in Perth and Melbourne.
- Michael has acted in hundreds of successful asbestos claims, including trial wins in both Western Australia and Victoria.
- Michael has run and won recent Victorian and Western Australian trials for abuse survivors.
- In 2021 alone, among many successful results in abuse claims, Michael and his Rightside colleagues have won a verdict of $2.7 million for a former Geelong College student, and settlements of $2.45 million against the Catholic Church and $3 million against Victoria’s Wesley College.
- Michael has successfully represented a large number of childhood sex abuse survivors assaulted in State schools, private schools and religious institutions, resulting in record breaking settlements.
- Michael and his Rightside colleagues have won the first Australian court decisions (in WA and Victoria) overturning old, unfair abuse settlements.
- Michael wrote a book, Silent Shock, about the global thalidomide tragedy. The book followed his legal work over three years for Australian thalidomide survivors.
- Michael represented a traumatised Werribee school teacher, winning a $1.3 million judgment against the Education Department.
- Michael represented the mother of a woman who died after a home birth. After a lengthy coronial inquiry, and an investigation by the Director of Public Prosecutions, two of the midwives have bene charged with criminal offences.
- Michael previously worked at The Age, The Australian and for ABC Television.